Thursday, May 10, 2012

Living Yellow

Ok, it's not where I want it to be yet, but HERE is the link for my new blog, Living Yellow.
Maybe check it out and maybe you'll like it. Maybe you'll just think I'm weird. Here is my first post:
So in my late teens/early 20s I knew this girl my age that was already married and made her own soap. They had a kid named Rain or something (If you have a kid name Rain, I'm sorry that I've offended you in the first second sentence of this blog). They grew their own vegetables and had a bunch of goats in their yard. Now, you may think I grew up in some place south of Podunk (there I go again offending more of you, this time in my FOURTH sentence....) But I didn't. I grew up in a fairly large city in Florida a hop, skip and jump from Mickey Mouse. So this girl. She made her own soap. For that reason alone I thought she was super weird.
Now, due to this wonderful little phenom called Pinterest (you may have heard of it) I too want to make my own soap. And deodorant, and toothpaste and I don't care if people think I'm weird. My own, sweet, not-a-judgmental bone in his body husband thinks I'm a loon. When I bust out the 10 gallon pot and the wooden spoon he makes comments about "my meth lab" and has even muttered the "Hippy" word in my general direction. But I don't care. I want to save money and save my kids from chemicals. I have a personal beef against soap companies and how they don't think we've noticed that they've increased the cost of their products and decreased the size of their containers. I think we've been bombarded with aisles and aisles of cleaners that carry a hefty price tag with marginal results and stuff that will kill you and make fish have babies with three heads.
So, I am simplifying our lives.
In my dreams I would live in a chemical free world, eat clean organic food all the time, grow my own vegetables, raise my own chickens and goats for milk and eggs, have an alpaca farm, sew my own designer clothes and decorate my beach villa with style, you know Little House on the Prairie meets The Pioneer Woman meets Martha Stewart meets Ina Garden. with swag.
Of course, I can't do that. I suck at growing things. I mean I.kill.everything.I.touch.
I can't I'm not allowed to sew things because according to my husband, when I touch a sewing machine I turn into Mommy dearest.
I don't have the time, money or energy to eat healthy, organic food all the time. Or even half of the time.
I really like things like icing right out of the can and Cheetos.
The thought of grabbing an egg from a chickens butt, touching a goat utter, or shaving an alpaca makes me cringe. You could say I'm not much of an "outdoorsy" kinda gal.
BUT, I do want to simplify our lives.
I do want to save money.
I want to be creative and ingenuitive. 
I want to have pride in what goes into my kids bellies.
So, here we go. I we're "going yellow" people! That just means we're not quite experienced enough to "go green" yet. But we're getting there...
Baby steps people.
Baby steps.

2 comments:

  1. You are another one of my heros! I've been watching your pins and can see the goodness of your heart pour through them! The things I've only thought of doing, you're pinning to do! I'll have to check out your new blog- love to have more inspiration in my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds a lot like me! I can't grow anything to save my life, but want to be "green!" Can't wait to read your new blog.

    ReplyDelete