Monday, January 9, 2012

Be a Match!

As we just got home from Jack's 2 month appointment, the doctors and nurses kept commenting on how healthy and beautiful Jack is. I couldn't agree more :0)
He has grown 3 inches (now 22") and now weighs 12 pounds, 13 ounces. Wow! Big boy! Before the "weigh in" I guessed 11 lb, 6 oz. and Chad guessed 14lbs. I guess we'll split the difference! Either way, we feel so thankful that Jack is progressing the way he should. On the way home, I couldn't help thinking about those little angels that aren't as healthy.
When we got home, I was getting my coupons ready for this afternoon's grocery run and was checking out my favorite site (southernsavers.com) and there was an article about becoming a bone marrow donor. You can read the article HERE.
It just hit me that THIS is what I need to do. It only took about 5 minutes to sign up. Basically, you need to be between 18 and 44 and be in good health. They send you a swab kit in the mail, test it, and put you on a registry. Then you wait for a match.
If you sign up during the month of January, American Express will donate $100 to the "Be A Match Registry" which will cover the lab costs for your test. After that- there is no cost at all if you are ever matched. You can read more FAQ HERE
Right now, there are 10,000 people waiting for a match and only 5,000 will ever get one. I can't help but think about if my role was switched and I (Or Charlie or Jack) were the 5,000 that never got a match. It just made me think that this little gift (5 days of medication and an afternoon in the hospital IF I ever am a match....) could save a little persons or big person's life. It's a small gift.
In the meantime, thank you Lord for the two beautiful, healthy boys in my life. Thank you for the selfless gift of two women, one I know and one I don't. Thank you for allowing me to be their mommy. My cup runneth over. Please allow me to give this gift of health back just a little to someone else. Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I think about stuff like this all the time. i'm so wussy, I don't even donate blood! I KNOW- how selfish of me! Donating bone marrow is a painful procedure. I want to think I am strong enough to be brave for someone else...I know God gives us immeasurable strength..but just the thought makes me cringe. Ugh- I'm so torn.

    ReplyDelete