Friday, July 16, 2010

Mom and Daughter Weekend


Last weekend while Chad and my dad were on the youth mission trip to Johnstown Pennsylvania, mom and I went on a girls weekend to the North Georgia Mountains. We stayed at the Castle Inn in Helen, Georgia. We always stopped here on our family vacations when we were small- it was always a magical place! When mom and I were there it had changed quite a bit, it seemed really touristy now! But we ate some really yummy German food and had a great time shopping and seeing what was around. Then of course, we had to go to Babyland, the hospital where cabbage patch kids are born. It was in this tiny cottage in Cleveland, GA. Now it is in a giant plantation!
The cabbage patch kids are moving on up I suppose. It was a beautiful new facility, but the old place did have a lot of charm. This picture came from my phone, so it's tiny, but it says "adoption fee $49.99" Russia should really follow the lead of the folks at Babyland.
Then we drove to the Dillard House. It's a restaurant, inn, farm, and just hodge podge of classic southern charm wrapped up in the foothills of the Georgia mountains. When you walk in there is a menu listed on the wall with 5 different meats and about 20 vegetables. We assumed it was a buffet- NOPE! They bring it all to your table. ALL of it. Oh, and salads, fresh fruit, biscuits, cornbread, yeast rolls, fresh peach cobbler and ice cream for desert. Insane! We visited several fun toy stores that specialize in handmade toys like Elf Made Toys in the Santee River Valley. Check them out here. We also visited Jolly's Toys, a favorite of mine when I was little! Needless to say, Charlie is the only person in the family that made out like a bandit this weekend. I got a jar of local honey. ;0) and a wonderful weekend with my best friend, my mom.....

3 comments:

  1. Awww...I love you so much. It was great spending the weekend with you and rekindling some awesome memories and making some more. We will definately have to have another girls weekend. I really enjoyed you & love you so much. Thanks for the memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    Just a reminder that Jesse and I are praying for you, Chad and Charlie so much. We are joining with you in believing that the end is in sight, and that God is faithful to complete this work that He has started. Please email any time (I have a new computer without your email), and just know how much we are praying.
    Love, Jen and Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. That is a crazy amount of food. Awesome.
    2. I am so jealous that you got to visit the Cabbage Patch hospital/plantation.
    3. I'm thinking about you guys and praying for you and Charlie. I hope hope hope that you'll get some good news this week. This should be #1 on the list, but I was distracted by the food...

    ReplyDelete