Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Fondant makes you crazy.


My first Fondant class was last night.
Let me just tell you that Fondant is harder than it looks. Where as decorating with icing and piping bags is more of a "precision" art, fondant is more of a manual labor art. You knead the dough, pull the dough, roll the dough, incorporate gum paste (to make it more elastic and durable, and then stretch and cut, stretch and cut, smoothing it every step of the way. By the end of class I was in a full sweat! Who knew cake decorating could be an aerobic workout? This cake was to learn more "technique" than to be pretty- so it's a little bland. I ended up taking off a lot of the other elements and making it a little more appealing because I wanted to bring it into the office to share. So I added the flowers and the draped ribbon. Oh and I took off the giant thing that looked like a washcloth. I just couldn't bring myself to share an ugly cake. The inner Martha came out a little bit. I decided that even if you aren't OCD, cake decorating could make you that way. Every little bump and nick makes you crazy. You keep trying to smooth it out over and over again. I had finally come to grips with the tiny pin holes in the fondant where the ribbons didn't match up by the time I got home. Chad really was impressed with the cake, but then he said "Is it suppose to have the tiny holes in the top?" I gave him the look. You know the one.
Adoption news: Yesterday we sent everything we had to redo after the switch to Pskov to Columbia to be Apostilled. As soon as we get it back we'll send it back to the agency and then on to Russia. We've been getting a lot of questions about this.....WE ARE fully registered in Pskov, what we sent to St. Pete was sufficient for Pskov. BUT before we receive a referral we needed to do some papers specific to the new region. We still haven't heard anything and I really don't expect to anytime soon. But I could be surprised.... who knows! That's just the thing- we just don't know. I am feeling November. But I have a sinking feeling it's going to be next year. But I guess it could be tomorrow too. It's like cake. You just can't dwell on the little nicks and bumps or you'll go crazy.

1 comment:

  1. The last line of this post is my favorite. Oh and I (heart) your cake. MMMmmmm...looks delish!

    ReplyDelete