Tuesday, September 1, 2009

September is National Cake Month (not really)

How can it be September already? For those of you keeping track at home- Christmas is only 115 days away. I will be 30 years old in one month and 22 days. Yikes.

Here is my final cake. I had these illusions of grandeur about how the cake would be- I really wanted to do two tiers, but I tore the fondant on the top tier, I rolled it too thin. I could have salvaged it, but I think one tier turned out just fine (yes the flowers are edible and yes I made them!). I was crunched for time in class anyway so I had to complete it at home. Then I made a dozen cookies for Deetzsie’s Treatsies. Then I had a diabetic episode for consuming more sugar than one human should ever consume in a single day. Actually, then I got started on a new book “just to wind down” and it was so good I couldn’t put it down. Before I knew it, it was after midnight. Tonight we ate dinner out because I couldn't bear to even set foot in the kitchen.

So I’ve been laying the ground work for our financial course of action. I don’t know how I am going to fit anything else- but here are how the events unfolded. I sent an e-mail to our Pastor, he has graciously allowed us to but another blurb in the church newsletter about where we are in the process and how much more $ we need. He has also given the green light for an event in the Fellowship Hall. Now I need to get on the ball with food donations and perhaps a few items to auction (anybody know anybody?) I was thinking like a relaxation basket (maybe with a massage gift card) and some other fun stuff. I might bid on that basket. That would totally defeat the purpose, no? So…. Stay tuned on my latest scheme.

Next- I brought my cake into work and sent an e-mail talking about “Baby Cakes”. I got 3 orders today! Plus I already had one lined up from church, so that makes 4. So far I get to flex my baking/decorating muscle. I have booked everything but a Wedding cake (thank goodness, that’s too much pressure right now!) I have a sweet 16, a birthday, a baby shower, and a wedding shower (Even though it’s in the “wedding family” that’s much less pressure, I just want to stay away from Bridezillas on their “big day”. Showers are o.k.) Anyway- I am really excited to do these cakes, decorating has allowed me to be creative, something that I adore, but rarely get an opportunity to partake in. In case you're wondering about the fondant birdy I made, I still have him, but he just didn't look right on this cake.

Adoption update- All of our additional paperwork that needed to go to Pskov has been sent. The only thing I couldn't do was a"Letter of Recommendation" from our Home Study Agency. After a short debate, I persuaded our agency that they could do the letter, not our actual social worker (contracted through CWA) Since it has to be on CWA letterhead anyway, that will save us a few weeks and keeps things nice and simple! I need to follow up with them to make sure it's been done since our regular case manager is on vacation until mid-September, but they are really good at doing what they say they will do, so I'm not terribly worried.

Now...if you'll excuse me, my book and my pajamas are calling my name!

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you baby girl! You are very talented in more ways than one! I can't wait to see what you next adventure will be. Love, Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one busy lady! We will be sure to pass on the info about Baby Cakes to our family in SC. Oh, and don't forget October is 'Deetz Pampered Chef Fundraiser' month. (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a perfect world, every month would be national cake month.

    ReplyDelete