Monday, June 8, 2009

Cake Decorating....One down, three to go

Brittany and I decided to take a Wilton cake decorating class at our local craft store. I also roped Shani into it, because I thought we could have regular girls night out during the month of June. I then mentioned it to Michele and she wanted to join in. So we show up to class tonight all chipper and excited. Tonight was the "basics" class. We didn't touch a cake, icing, or piping bag. We....just....sat....and.....listened. At some point it was like watching paint dry, literally. We had to wait for the cake to, I forget the word she used, but basically get a crust on it so that she could show us how to smooth the icing with a little plastic trowel.

By the end, I had the glazed donut face. She was talking about having to have a dime to make a circle, but if we didn't have a dime we could use....IDK, something else round like a dime. WHAT? It didn't help that there was music over the loud speaker in the class room. I was humming along to "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and "Buttercup" while waiting for the "cake to crust" Thank the Lord Michele, Brittany and Shani were there to crack me up. Britt doesn't own a cake pan. This could be very interesting for her. Michele hadn't had dinner and wanted to lick the icing so badly I think I actually saw some drool. (It did smell really good!) Shani had just left work at a summer camp and still had that "I just entertained 25 kids all day long" look on her face. We were a sad "girls night out". Next week we have to bring a cake, already iced, with four different colors of icing. We are going to make a rainbow cake. Hmmm.....

Here's what it's suppose to look like. We'll see about all that. I can't wait to take pictures of what kinda rainbows are produced by the fantastic four. I think next week will be a lot better, when we are actually doing something! My goal is to make Baby Deetz his/her birthday cakes- maybe something nice and round, like a balloon, or maybe a happy face. Not this.

No comments:

Post a Comment