Sunday, February 8, 2009

Evil Adoption Book


So far I have not been "anti" with any aspect of the adoption process. Then we got "the book". It's this monstrous text book like thing that is required reading through our agency. First of all, I love to read and even loved reading the two other books we have purchased concerning International Adoption. The first was an introduction book and it was a great tool in helping us decide on a county. The second was about raising adopted children. Great book too. Then the beast came in the mail. The way it is set up is just like a college text book- not meant to be read in a "narrative" format. AND it has people's stories mixed in with the meat of the text! I hate that.... the way my head works is that I need to complete a thought before reading the side stories on every page. Well every page has little sidebar or story! Think about when you watch the news and the ticker is running different stories at the bottom, the time and temperature is in the top left corner, and stock market quotes are scrolling down the right side! Ugghh- I want just a man in a suit telling me one story at a time. I want a dull background behind him too, none of that tiny city scape with stars and streets and buildings!

Anyway the book- It's like ADD's worst nightmare. But the worst part of it is so far the 100 pages I have struggled through (chalked in with "Abby's Story" and "10 things you should know before you adopt" forcing my brain to go into overload) is how DEPRESSING all the material is. I honestly think they are trying to weed out all the people that are not serious about adoption. It's like conditioning before you get picked for the sports team! Maybe they are just trying to scare me. (IT'S NOT WORKING- I'M NOT SCARED OF YOU!)

So please pray for us as we choke through this book! I'm going to put a picture of it below for you to know what you are up against. (FYI- I have no idea how the horns got on the book- it came like that)

1 comment:

  1. I totally feel your pain....its full of good info. but soooooo much of it. And the book is so wordy, it can get boring.

    ReplyDelete