Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Infestation!

I know some of my blogs have been a little heavy lately- so in that light I thought you needed a good laugh. Of course at my expense because I am so not laughing.

So one of the attorney's at my firm asked if we would like their kid's playground set because their kids had outgrown it. My first instinct was to ask "Why would Chad and I need a playground set?" But that was only for .5 seconds (blond moment). I accepted, and he asked if we could pick it up on Saturday while he and his family were out of town. Great! So he gave me his address and then he left for the airport. This is where the funny starts.

This Saturday we ask two of the boys in our youth group- Wes and Chad (we will call him Little Chad as not to be confused with husband- a.k.a. Big Chad) one of which has a truck and both of which have muscles, to help us move the playground set to our house. Well, as we were driving to the house I realized I had misplaced the address in the sea of paperwork that has overtaken our dining room, but decided I would use my deductive reasoning skills to find the house (I knew the street name and thought I may even recall the house number) and how many houses could have a playground set out back? Answer: A lot. Then I remember he said it had a pool at the bottom of the slide! Bingo. So we unload and begin to dismantle this lovely (and very expensive I'm sure) playground set. In the red clay mud. I think they must have an irrigation water leak or it rained at their house A LOT overnight. We were covered in mud.... But that's not the funniest part. Here it comes-

THE PLAYGROUND IS INFESTED WITH SPIDERS! We would disrupt one of their nests (which look like giant wads of cotton candy in case you ever run into that.... it's not cotton candy! Don't eat it!) and baby (and mommy) spiders start running. Little Chad's job became to hold the hammer and "terminate" as he saw fit. You would unscrew a bolt and spiders would run out. Pick up a pipe, you guessed it SPIDERS! Well the big pieces went in Little Chad's truck bed and the smaller pieces- swings, slide, platforms went in the back of our Trailblazer. I think THAT made them really mad. But don't worry, no spiders were harmed in the loading of this playground (except the ones with the hammer- but that was self-defense!) They all crawled out and made a home in our car. Every morning I have a virtual obstacle course of tiny spider webs running here and there in the dashboard and windows. And the worst part is the psychological damage it has caused me. I haven't physically seen any creepy crawlers in the car- but I know they are out there! The proof is all around me (literally!) Right now I can feel them crawling all over me!
It's amazing how preoccupied you become when your vehicle is transformed into a scene from Charlotte's Web, just without the cool messages or that really cute Pig.

1 comment:

  1. You guys have to meet my friends, John and Mildred Roche. They have adopted one child from Russia and 5 others, that's right, 6 kids in all. They are music people. Mildred works at Converse....you will love to talk to them about their experiences !!!

    Cathy Siarris

    ReplyDelete