Saturday, April 11, 2009

Happy Easter's Eve!

My Mom and Dad are in town this weekend for Easter and today, our main goal was to find a crib. I know it's early, but we wanted to get a jump on nursery shopping. That way when we are having our BIG wait, we'll have months to get everything ready and take our time with painting, matching fabrics, redoing the bathroom, you know fully taking advantage of a longer than 9 month "gestation" period. Well, that, and I just want one!
So we got up early and headed out to Greenville with 4 stores programmed into the GPS. First stop- Baby USA. Brittany was hoping that no one thought either one of us were pregnant (thus looking pregnant when neither one of us really are!) I told her if anyone asked, we would say Mom was having a baby....
Anyway, Baby USA had beautiful stuff! Every nursery was set up in a little room- all painted and decorated. Then we went out to Babies-R-Us, we saw one set that Chad and I could agree on "kind of liking". Then to some posh place called "Nest" yeah, I saw a onesie that cost $65. I don't think so. Then off to "Wood You" seeing what unfinished pieces they had for baby- uhhhh, none. So we headed back to Baby USA. I liked their stuff the best because the wood was very durable, the hardware was all hidden, and every crib converts into a toddler bed and then into an adult bed. A definite plus not knowing how old our baby will be and how soon a toddler bed will be needed. We walked around and around and around. We narrowed it down to two models. They have these huge comfy rocking chairs set up all over the store, at some point Britt, Mom, and Chad were sitting in rockers, I was sitting on top of a baby table, and Daddy was sitting in one of those mini-kiddie recliners (which was hilarious) and we were having a furniture debate like we were deciding the next president of the United States. Our conclusion? We were all starving, so we walked next door and had some Sushi. THEN we went BACK to the store and finally made a decision.....DRUM ROLL PLEASE........
We also got the dresser in the second picture (without the hutch) because you can use it as a diaper changing table now and then it converts into a plain dresser (gone are the days of a diaper changing table that you only use for a few years). It's a beautiful curvy piece, the picture really doesn't do it justice. Our struggles- All the cribs now look so "mature" they are very sophisticated. And- Chad likes darker wood (Normally I do too, as all our furniture at home is dark) but when it comes to baby furniture, I am a big fan of white or antique white. The problem with white is- it's very girly, which is o.k. for a tiny baby boy, but not so nice for a 8 year old boy.
With the "Espresso" finish it will look great with baby blue/brown combo or pink/brown combo. So we made the first compromise (of many) and went with something more practical than a white crib. AND don't get me wrong- its a beautiful piece of furniture. AND it takes 10-12 weeks to arrive in the store, you think maybe be then our home study will be done? Sorry, I was doing good and I was going to try not to mention it, but I just can't help myself.
So the tradition continues- My mom's grandmother bought her crib, my grandma bought my crib, and now my parents made that purchase for our baby too! I didn't think this moment in our lives would ever come, and to be honest with you, as many times as we walked around that store that was easy to believe!
Thanks Mom and Dad....... I can't wait for you to be Grandparents!

No comments:

Post a Comment