Sunday, April 19, 2009

Weekend in Review....

We arrived at the church at 6:30AM on Saturday for the Rummage Sale. I promised you a picture- and here it is! We had more stuff than we knew what to do with. It was incredible. The picture really doesn't do it justice, but if you look closely (think "Where's Waldo") you can see #1 blogger Bob in the picture.
My job at the sale was the official "haggler". If someone wanted to haggle, they had to come see me. It was a VERY interesting job to say the least. My first line to every haggler was "you know this sale is to provide our kids a way to New Orleans this summer for our Mission Trip" That made my job a little easier.
We were so exhausted Saturday night it was unbelievable. And dirty. Yuck. We got home around 6:30pm. I am really glad Rummage only comes along once every three years. We raised over $7,300 which is incredible considering most of our items were between 10 cents and 2 dollars!
Today was Confirmation Sunday at church. This picture is of Holly, my "mintee" as I liked to call her during the 8 weeks of preparation we had together for this day. Every Sunday we would meet for an hour, listen to a guest speaker, and then have some one on one time to do some worksheets and talk about what it means to be a Christian. Holly was such a joy and a "talker" just like me! We talked and laughed and learned a lot together- she is such a joy! It is always such a blessing to be around these young people that will be joining the youth group in August (ALL 21 OF THEM!) They are true reminder for us to be joyous and excited about being children of God! They have so much energy, it's contagious! Today, they took their vows with their parents by their sides in front of the church. In every parent's eyes I saw a combination of pride, joy, and hope that their child would continue to grow in things that are good, true, and pure. This year I looked at those parents with different eyes, being a "parent to be". You just can't pray enough that your child will make good choices and do good in the world around them. You do all this work of teaching them what is right and then you have to start to letting go a little and trust that their teachers, mentors, and the friends they choose will lead them down the right path. Today it was a demonstration of letting go, just a little, and hoping that you've equipped your child to make good decisions.
Now to wrap up the weekend- I'm going to take care of my much neglected house and then head off to D-Group with my 9th grade gals to wrap up our 8 weeks of "purity" lessons, I have been their teacher, teaching them purity (sexual and otherwise). Now that has been an interesting endeavor. A necessity for this day in time, but can you say awkward? I don't know how I got elected for that one! But they are darling girls and I hope I've done them justice about making REALLY important choices in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment