Monday, April 20, 2009

Sa-boak-a

Our friend Sharon mentioned that her daughter had an interest in learning how to speak Russian a few years ago and they had purchased the "Rosetta Stone" computer program for her to earn a home school foreign language credit. She said she would let us borrow it to learn how to speak Russian and we've had it for a few weeks, but I haven't had time to look at it.
Well.... yesterday was the first opportunity I had to try it out. What can I say.....Russian is very....uhhhh...... interesting. I would like to know enough to ask for directions, order food, and ask where the bathroom is when we travel. So far I know how to say dog. After working on it for an hour in addition to "dog" I think I am suppose to know- cat, boy, girl, man, woman, car, airplane, horse, elephant, and ball. But I definitely have "dog" or "sa-boak-a" down pat. Here is my Russian so far....
Vladamir: "Excuse me ma'am (do they say ma'am in Russian?) Would you like a taxi to your hotel room?"
Sarah: "Dog"
Vladamir: "No, a taxi.... we do not transport dogs, only people. Would you like a ride?"
Sarah: "Dog"
_____________________________
O.k. well, dog is a start. I'll keep working on it. My only question so far.....will my Russian have a southern accent?

No comments:

Post a Comment