Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Wreath Clause

I'm a pretty "take me as I am" kind of person. I would like to think I am a pretty straight shooter- take me or leave me. Don't get me wrong- I like to be liked, but I really believe that you can't please all the people all the time and life is too short not to say what you mean and really mean it! I preach this to my little sister all the time because she is so much nicer than I am and much, much more tender hearted. Britt would give the person who just stole her purse the change out of her ashtray too.
However, I want our social worker to like me so badly I can taste it! I agonize over the wording in my e-mails to her, where the fine line between "concerned parent" and "psycho stalker asking crazy questions" is and whether all my towels are facing the same direction in my linen closet in case she sneaks a peak on Satuday!
Tonight was "sister's night in" Chad had some things to do at the church so Britt and I got together for pizza and American Idol. I mentioned to her that in light of our upcoming home study I really needed a new wreath for the front door- ours had become weather-worn and tattered. She shrugged and said she thought it looked fine but agreed to go to the craft store with me to find one. Well, I am normally the most bargainy (Sarah vocab alert) person you will ever meet. If it's not on sale I don't buy it. That habit has been sent into overdrive with having to save money for the adoption- I just don't go shopping anymore! Something ceases to be a "good deal" if you don't need it at all, and the ONLY thing we need right now is a baby. (And a new wreath). So we walk around Michaels for about 45 minutes because in some crazy scheme to get your exercise by walking 67 miles, the wreaths are spread out in all sections of the store. Well, to my disappointment- all the pre-made wreaths are between $25 and $50! That's like 3 meals in St. Petersburg! So we begin to gather materials to make my own! Much cheaper- like $10! At some point Britt was so tired of me agonizing over which decorative grass to use and which ribbon color was best, she answered a phone call and answered the question of "what are you doing?" by saying:
"I'm at Michael's looking for a wreath; and apparently they don't let you adopt a baby unless you have a nice door wreath!"
So I'll take Britt's advice instead of being the annoying "older sister" always dishing out the words of wisdom, and just be me. But I still don't know what to wear on Saturday.....any advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment